Monday, July 22, 2013

#Aren'tWeLettingThisGetALittleOutOfControl?

In case you don't speak #hashtags, that said: aren't we letting this get a little out of control?

The 'this" I refer to is hashtagging. Please, don't get defensive over there Hash Tagging Harriet, because I am not referring to you, the Queen of Hashtagging all your posts. I, too, am a hashtagger, so I am in no way trying to discourage you from getting your feelings hashed out. #preachonsister

I am referring to mainstream media and the pressure they are putting on you, the average American TV lover, to hashtag.

Have you noticed that while watching like EVERY show on TV, there are hashtag suggestions put out there for you. Really, NBC, I wouldn't think to #TheVoice on my own without your help? MasterChef... I know these are your auditions, but thanks for the reminder; #MCauditions.

And those aren't even the worst of it. That is the "grown-up" TV I watch, so their hashtag suggestions are fairly sophisticated compared to the teeny-bopper shows I watch. (Because yes, yes I do watch teeny-bopper TV. And I am not ashamed.)

With a show like Gossip Girl or Pretty Little Liars, you know you've got an opportunity for #hashtag gold. Those viewers, the 14-24 female range, there's your #money. In just one episode of Pretty Little Liars, I think there are as many as 6 or 7 suggestions. And they aren't #PLL, or even #ImwatchingPLL.

(Spoiler alert: If you are not current on PLL I advise that you stop reading. The #hashtags might ruin a #surprise for you.)

Some PLL hashtag examples include:

#monasA  #tobysdead #poorezra

All these are little marketing devices created to generate interest in the show, so if enough viewers tweet the same hash tag, it will trend and then more and more people will want to watch their show.

However, all the hashtags listed above were technically lies. Mona is kind of A, I guess. But not really. Toby was dead for like 5 episodes, and Ezra was only "poor" for seriously no longer than a minute because his arrest only lasted that long before we learned it was Aria's dream.

I am unsure of my stance on what these hash tags mean, as far as TV watching goes. Do we really need to live tweet every show we watch? What about those of us who don't watch the show live? You have now #ruinedthesurprise for me if I happen across your #tobysdead tweet while scrolling my Twitter feed. But with the changing times and younger generations being so incredibly dialed in to social media, maybe live tweets and #hashtags really are the key to television success in the future.

Comment below and let me know what you think about #hashtags, #tvwithhashtags, and Pretty Little Liars. Because seriously, who is A?

2 comments:

  1. We are pretty sick of the hashtagging on TV shows, too. And the running of the tweets at the bottom of the screen...seriously, why can't we just watch the damn show??!! ;)-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally on board with hash tagging things like the Royal Baby ad even weddings and such, but I hate that they are trying to tell me what to do! Perhaps I have an issue with control.. Hmm.

      Delete